Family reunions are filled with love, fun and old memories and can be very beneficial for seniors, even those suffering from memory loss or dementia. However, while they can be very positive for seniors, they can also be very stressful, which is why proper planning is so important. Here are some pro tips on planning for a family gathering with your senior family members:
- Create a schedule and stick to it. Meals, breaks, walks, even naps- this will help reduce anxiety about “what’s next.”
- Intergenerational activities are very important. Even if mom can’t remember her nephews’ kids names, she will enjoy the time and think back to the time she spent with her own nephew.
- Don’t try to push your loved one. Remember, lots of noise and family chaos can be very stressful for anyone, but especially for those with any form of Dementia.
- If you have a big family, wearing name tags can be a huge help remembering who everyone is.
- Make sure that someone is always with your senior loved one, helping them eat, have meaningful conversations and even helping to go to the bathroom.
Keeping tips like this in mind before taking your senior loved one to a family reunion can help make sure they enjoy the event.
Give us a call today to learn more about how Danbury Senior Living helps with easy family reunions for folks who live with us!