The 4th of July is one of everyone’s favorite holidays. With parades, picnics, fireworks, and pools, why wouldn’t it be? Well, if you’re a senior limited mobility, you might not look forward to July 4th as much as some people! Here are some ideas for staying inside with your favorite senior on Independence Day.
- Have traditional foods like hot dogs, hamburgers, potato salad, and watermelon. Nothing says “summer celebration” like these traditional foods.
- Create a patriotic craft together. There are some great ideas on Pinterest. Involve the kids with this one!
- Have a patriotic sing along. Our seniors love the old standards like America the Beautiful, This Land is Your Land, and Yankee Doodle Dandy.
- Have a patriotic film fest. Lower the lights, blast the air conditioner, and make some popcorn!
- Watch the National Fireworks on a big screen TV at night.
Remember, many older adults aren’t able to leave their home, but still want to participate in family and community holiday celebrations. A great way to enjoy the 4th of July is to bring the festivities to them!
To learn more about how we at Danbury celebrate the 4th of July with “The Danbury Difference,” please like and follow us on Facebook!