For most seniors who have lived in the same home for more than 30 years, calling it a “safe and healthy home environment” would be a considerable misstatement. They may try hard, but there’s just too much “stuff” to consider it a success. Here are some tips to maintain a safe and healthy home environment!
- Declutter everything. Everything! Rooms, cupboards, closets, drawers, etc.
- Remove or tack down moveable rugs and mats.
- Clearly mark on all appliances the on and off positions and remind them how to operate the appliance.
- Store sharp objects, like knives, in a rack not a drawer so they don’t have to root for them.
- At night, leave night lights on in each room, especially the path from the bed to the bathroom!
- Securely install bath aids such as railings and grab bars and non-skid surfaces.
- Avoid bathing when home alone, if possible.
When it’s time to seek a more supportive living arrangement, Danbury Senior Living is a resort style senior living community with a healthy lifestyle at its focus! For more details visit www.danburyseniorliving.com or call today!