When is the Right Time to Move?
Moving is a personal and stressful decision that involves much consideration and planning. Deciding when to move to a senior living community brings additional questions. Sometimes the thought of leaving the home you have known can make you feel vulnerable and uneasy. You may feel like you’re losing control of your life or yearn for the way things used to be. Be patient with yourself. It is important to realize that all of these feelings are normal.
A nice surprise awaits you when you sit down with one of our friendly, specially-trained staff who will help you with this process. We understand that every person and situation is unique and we have the experience to help you weigh your wishes, desires, expectations, needs, hopes, and choices.
Following are some things to consider when thinking about the right time for you?
- Do you feel one-floor living would be more convenient and safe?
- Is keeping track of bills and living expenses become a worry?
- Do you feel you limit your activities because you travel less at night or during bad weather?
- Has preparing healthy meals become a burden or do you eat at restaurants more than you like to?
- Do you spend more on utilities than you really need to?
- Do you keep the heat or air conditioning at uncomfortable temperatures to keep bills in line?
- Could you be eating a healthier diet?
- Would you feel safer if a nurse managed your medication for you?
- Has there ever been a time when you felt unsafe in your home?
- Has maintaining a home, appliances, yard, etc., become a chore or have these things been neglected?
- Are you uncomfortable having workers enter your home to maintain it? Do you trust what they tell you about repairs?
- Have there been times when you’d appreciate having safety grab bars in your bathroom?
- Would you be more physically active if you had easy access to age-appropriate exercise equipment and activities were conducted closer to your home?
- Do you ever skip an activity because it would require the assistance of a family member or friend?
- Do you sometimes feel isolated in your home?
- Would you like a ‘built-in’ social network of peers?
- Has a loved one suggested that you consider senior living?
- Do you sometimes feel lonely or wish it would be easier to interact with people like yourself?
- Do you ever wish someone was nearby in case of an emergency?
- Is the hassle of moving one of the top reasons you are staying in your present home?
- Do you find it is becoming harder to entertain in your home?
- Would you feel safer living where a fire alarm/smoke detector/sprinkler system is in place?
- Would downsizing now enable you to make sure family heirlooms are entrusted to the right family members or lessen a burden on family members later?
- Do you think of your (or your spouses’) current health and future health? Is it becoming difficult to manage the activities of daily living, such as showering, personal hygiene, eating?
- As a more affordable way of enjoying Danbury life would you consider Co-Sharing an apartment with a friend or relative?